Thursday, February 17, 2011

Hw 35 - Other People's Perspectives 1

For this assignment, I interviewed two of my cousins who are 17  and 20 respectively, and my closest friend who is 18. I asked them all a very basic question, "What are your thoughts on birth?". To sum up the general descriptions they all offered; they felt that birth is a major event that demands celebration and is a major point that changes the lives of everyone involved with the child. As shown by my friend's response, " When my little brother was born, my parents changed everything around the house all over again, even though this wasn't their first child". The main idea of his claim seemed to be that birth is so highly celebrated and cherished because it is a major turning point in people's lives. My older cousin stated that he witnessed almost the same outcome after each birth he's been a part of. He has been around for the process of 5 births, his three younger sister's, my baby cousin's, and his brother's birth. His realization was that no matter how many times a birth occurs, or how common it is for the family, the celebration is still the same and the changes are still drastic afterwards.

Through my interviews it seems that the common ideology is that the hardship that follows having a child gets celebrated, and the environment is altered around the birth of a new child. The celebration of the child seems to be to help the transition in to having another baby. The idea of change seems to dominate people's perspectives on birth, the fact that everyone involved in the birthing process knows that huge changes are about to be made, makes people pay tons of attention when a birth is on the way.  Our society as a whole changes with every birth, and this can be the reason why birth is such a celebrated process that demands a lot of attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment